Sunday, October 17, 2010

If you think you just had your worst day, then...

...think again, considering other unfortunate people in your thought. Allah would not give you any impediments in life that you can't endure.

The an hour conversation I had with that old lady whom I called Auntie that owns a grocery store just across my apartment really opened my heart and mind.

So we had been talking on world history, cultural differences, Korean menus, rice types, and a lot more.

The one that I remember the most was about the monarchy era in Korea. The King had a really enormous palace with a lot people became servants for him. The marriage institution was very weird back then. The King got married to a Queen, but at the same time, he also slept with hundreds or maybe thousands of mistresses. If one of the mistresses had a male baby with the King, then the baby would become the King. Another thing that bothered me was if the King is infertile, then the Queen would be blamed although it's not her fault. How unjust is that! Competition and jealousy amongst the mistresses were also unavoidable. People would just badmouth about others. Auntie was just glad that she's not born during that period, and I am, too.

I also asked Auntie on what brings her here. She said that it was a long story and I didn't dare to ask further, seeing her sad face. Every time she talks about Korea, it's always about 38 years ago. She must have not been home for that such long, long time. She also told me the story of her mother, how her mother slaughter the chicken, and how she eventually became a vegetarian for a while. I was afraid that she might break into tears but she didn't. A strong woman she is.

I know it sounds like a snippet from a movie, but it actually happens, to people that are very close to you. She must have gone through a lot of hardships and I respect her for she survives the States for such a long time. Her hunger for knowledge has made me realize how lucky I am to get the chance to study in here during my youth. So appreciate what you have and always be grateful to God.

3 comments:

  1. that's true indeed...
    skrg pown maseh blaja mnghargai & bsyukur
    thanks 4 sharing sk =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, we are truly lucky. Most people are dying to be in our shoes. Alhamdulillah :)

    ReplyDelete