Friday, June 25, 2010

Story of My Babies

So do you know what are the two pictures that I've posted before?

They are cells of microalgae from two different species, one is Isochrysis sp. while the other one is Chlorella sp. I've been assigned to culture them and count their cell numbers every day. What I love about them is when I'm counting their cells, I can sometimes see them dividing, especially Isochrysis sp. which are of larger size.

Microalgae are plants that live in water. They come in very small sizes, ranging from few micrometers to a few hundred of micrometers. I guess they are very genius that even though they're very small, they can make their own food! They have very large contribution to us by providing oxygen through photosynthesis. Kecil-kecil cili padi u! These babies have their own pigments, which is the focus of my study, to determine carotenoid content in them. After determining the amount of carotenoid, we're gonna extract the pigment and test for its safety. Later on we can proceed with studies on adding the pigments in food and make more nutritious food so we can eat better : ) How wonderful science is!

*Very informational I guess this time : )*

1 comment:

  1. i like it. Eventhough i am not a biotechnology student, i think i know what u r talking about. lol. cant wait to read more informational entry from u. =)

    ReplyDelete